About Me

I'm studying hard to be a Librarian, with three casual jobs and two teenage children.

Wednesday, September 17, 2008

The wonderful world of wikis

The first wiki I visited was the St Josephs PL subject guide, and it seemed a great way to connect to the catalogue, and as a gateway to related information, especially local. The booklovers wiki was a "novel" idea, and it could be a wonderful way to get different opinions about a new, or even favourite, book. Wookieepedia is a good example of a pooling of many minds.

Library applications that I think would work well would be book review sites, where reviews could link to the library cataloge, and for local history groups. There is so much information that never gets recorded, and this could be a way to make it happen.

I found while visiting the wikis that I was frustrated with pages that had links only - even though I am on a broadband connection, each click takes some seconds and I was less inclined to explore without some information as enticement.

No comments: